POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Setting colour of objects through transmittance/absorbance spectra : Re: Setting colour of objects through transmittance/absorbance spectra Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Setting colour of objects through transmittance/absorbance spectra
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 27 Jan 2009 14:08:26
Message: <497f5baa@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:

> Fascinating. So would the idea be to use (or compare) D65's
> 'standard' color_temperature of 6504-deg. Kelvin to POV's rgb <1,1,1>
> in a light source? I've been wondering about such a thing, too.

They are very different things. D65 describes a spectrum, which
is a physical property of the light. The rgb value is a color in
a 3D color space, which is in effect an artefact of human evolution
(color vision with receptors for three wavelengths common on Earth).

The details usually just confuse me. Using the above mentioned CIE
includes, you should basically be able to generate an RGB value which
is perceived by some defined observer to be the same color as a D65
light source, after you did some worrying about white balance.